Thursday, January 21, 2010

Great Expectations

After nearly two-and-one-half years of searching, we are now attending a church where we feel we can not only grow spiritually through the teaching of the Word, but also through serving. The clincher is that it is a large church. A very large church.

It is intimidating, to say the least, to walk into such a place and feel secure. It would be quite easy to get lost in the crowd. But that’s not what we’re longing for. We want and need a place to serve, and we need acceptance and relationships. The only way any of those things is going to happen is if we step out on a limb.

I made my plunge last night, and I can’t tell you how excited I am!

I registered for a community care group geared specifically toward women. The initial gathering of all who registered was last night. Since registering, I prayed that God would hand-pick the women with whom I would be joined.

Mornings are my time of choice for meeting. Since my family is gone during the day, this is the time that least affects them.

Can you believe there were only ten women who wanted to meet during the day?

Can you believe all ten women are in a geographic area that is relatively convenient for all to travel?

Can you believe that after being together for just a short while, it felt as if we had been friends for a long time?

Isn’t that just how God works?

What’s even more amazing is that this is not a group that someone would say logically goes together. The age range is from mid-20’s to late 60’s. Some are married. Some are single. Some have young children. Some have grandchildren. Some are trying to have children. Some work. Some don’t.

As I was leaving and thanking God for such a beautiful experience, I was reminded of this scripture in Romans 12:4-8:
Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.
Each woman in the group has different gifts and needs. I am convinced that each woman has a gift that will meet the need of another. God truly answered the prayer I prayed.

He’s just good that way.

I can’t wait to see how God is going to work in this gathering. We will meet weekly for seven weeks. If we so desire we can continue on together.

It’s an exciting time for sure. I can’t remember the last time I felt so much positive anticipation and expectation. It’s a welcome feeling.

My prayer for you today is that something in your own life gives you the same feeling. And if it's not there already, then I pray God will place something there for you.

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting His Daily Mercies. I appreciate your comments.