Friday, April 17, 2009

Free-For-All Friday, Praise Report & Contest

Thank you, Lord, for such a beautiful day! If you live in the Ohio Valley, you know exactly what I'm talking about. The sun is shining, and the temperature is supposed to reach 75 degrees! Woo hoo! That puts some pep in my step!

Praise Report

I would like to begin with a praise report. On Monday I asked you to pray for baby Gregory who was facing a liver transplant. Another test indicated there may be no need for the transplant, afterall. Now the doctors are redoing the original test. Please continue to pray for this wee one and his family. God is alive and well!

Free-For-All-Friday

I shared with you my pantry annex embarrassment and the subsequent clean-up. I didn't show you my kitchen pantry, because it is in good shape. Really, it is. Except for one minor thing -- grocery and shopping bags. Because I don't know what to do with them, I throw them in the bottom. And I think they mate and multiply while I'm sleeping.

Here they are in all their glory displayed on my kitchen table:




We recycle everything the facility will accept -- glass, plastic, paper. But they won't take plastic bags. Why is that? The grocery stores will take them. For some reason, however, I don't trust them to actually recycle the bags. I think they're just trying some other way to coax me into their store.

Anyway, I keep my bags. My conscience won't allow me to throw them in the garbage. I do have various uses for them: waste can liners, kitchen scraps, doggie walks (no need to be specific). But I don't need this many.

What do you do with your grocery and shopping bags? I would love to hear your ideas.

Contest

Look at those pictures again. Leave a comment giving me your best guess of how many bags are in the pile. I will accept guesses until Monday, April 20, at 9:00 a.m. Eastern Time. There is nothing underneath. It's just a big honkin' pile of plastic bags. I've given you three angles to view.

The person who comes the closest to the actual number of bags will win a prize. It is not money, but it is tangible. If you detest grocery bags as much as I do, you will like the prize. It is very environmentally friendly.

In the event of a tie, I will draw a name from a hat.

So go ahead, give it your best shot!

Bible Reading Plan

Judges 8; Psalm 85; Mark 6:14-29; I Corinthians 10:14-33

Enjoy your Friday, and thanks for visiting! Now off to count some bags!

2 comments:

  1. You probably have about 128 bags there. My grandmother used to cut bread bags into strips and then braid them into rugs. Not exactly sure how she did that (can't ask cause she is gone now) but I can remember she made the constantly and gave them to everyone for "mud room floors" and they held up wonderfully. I will see what I can find and post a link or something later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, thanks for entering! You will see the contest results in today's (April 20) post. I am familiar with people using pastic bags to make "plarn." I haven't made anything from plastic bags, but I think it's a terrific idea. The directions for making the "plarn" can be found here:

    http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/02/17/instructions-for-cutting-plastic-bags-creating-recycled-plastic-yarn/

    The creator of that site has many great ideas for making things from recycled materials. Be sure to check them out.

    Thanks again for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting His Daily Mercies. I appreciate your comments.