Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Talk About It Tuesday - Hospitality

I will admit to you that I am not a gifted hostess. Oh, I know plenty of proper procedures for planning and preparing for guests. That’s not where my problem lies.

After much contemplation, I realize I am not a good hostess because I am a perfectionist. Now I am not saying that all perfectionists are inadequate hostesses. I am strictly speaking of myself.

We can invite guests to visit our home, and I begin dreading the occasion the very moment the invitation is offered. This has absolutely nothing to do with the people I have invited. Anyone I invite to my home is someone I care about. I want to spend time with them, otherwise I wouldn’t have asked them to come.

The dread comes from thinking about the preparation for the visit.

I am an expert at making everything more difficult than it has to be. I don’t do anything in a relaxed way. All tasks must be done methodically and in order. These are not criticisms of me. They are just facts.

Here’s how it goes: Invitation issued. What will we serve? Make a list. Do I have everything, or do I need to go to the grocery? Grocery. Make a list. The house needs to be cleaned top to bottom. Make a list of things to do. Uh oh. What if they look in that closet? I need to clean that, too. Why didn’t I get those curtains made? Do I have time to do that? Probably not. And on and on it goes.

By the time my guests arrive, I’m exhausted.

Once they’re here, I’m hustling and bustling about trying to make sure everything is “just right.” Do they need something to drink? How about food? Is the temperature okay? Do I need to adjust the thermostat? Is the TV or music too loud or not loud enough? What can I get you? Anything? Just let me know, okay? No, you sit down while I clean up the dishes. It’ll just be a minute.

CALGON TAKE ME AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(For those of too young to remember, that’s reference to a 70’s-80’s commercial for Calgon bath oil beads.)



I want to be a good hostess. I want to be a relaxed hostess. But I realize I’m going to have to overcome some things to achieve that goal. And I can’t do it alone. I must call on the Lord and glean from those who have gone before.

Yesterday I received a book I ordered entitled, “Practicing Hospitality: The Joy Of Serving Others,” by Patricia Ennis and Lisa Tatlock. These two home economists take a scriptural approach to hospitality. Lindsay at Passionate Homemaking has recently had an online study of this book. I intend to read her perspectives, but I intend to post my own perspectives here. Please feel free to join me. I will probably begin my discussion on Tuesday of next week.


How about you? Do you enjoy practicing hospitality? Please share some of your tips. I can use all the help I can get.

For now, however, I must begin my day. This is grocery shopping day. I haven’t been for four weeks, so it’s going to be a busy one!

I hope you have a wonderful day, as well!

Hugs and blessings!

Daily Bible Reading Plan

Ruth 1; Psalm 92; Mark 8:31-38; I Corinthians 15:1-28

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting His Daily Mercies. I appreciate your comments.