Friday, April 10, 2009

I am happy to report Olivia’s dress is nearly complete. Despite my efforts to finish it today, I hit a snag and had to run to the fabric store for a couple of supplies. I still need to insert the zipper and hem the sleeves and bottom. Woo hoo! Thanks for hanging in there with me. I will post a picture Monday.

Easter Week Reflections – Good Friday

Becoming a mother sixteen years ago gave me an additional perspective of Easter. I began to wonder how it felt to be Mary, Jesus’ mother. All we really know of Mary as the mother of Christ is that she was a willing vessel and that she “pondered” many things.

I am sure Mary knew her son was destined for great things. And I am also certain that she was around to hear when Jesus referenced his purpose for coming to earth. But did she, like the disciples, fail to understand what really was going to happen?

Mary witnessed Jesus’ many miracles. We know for a fact she was present when he performed his first miracle – turning the water into wine at the wedding in Cana. She gave the instructions to do whatever Jesus said to do.

What anguish Mary must have experienced as she witnessed Jesus’ “trial” and subsequent torture. How helpless she must have felt as she was forced to stand by and watch.

I cannot wrap my mind around the emotions Mary had as she watched Jesus dying on the cross. Imagine the flood of memories she must have had. This was her baby – the one God gave to her. The one she held in her arms. The one she snuggled after He was freshly bathed. The one whose boo-boos she kissed when He fell while playing. The one who was always the brightest student in Hebrew school. The one who cared for her after His earthly father died.

This. Was. Her. Son.

But Jesus, in the midst of pure agony, as He carried the weight of the sins of the world, loved Mary enough to let her know that her role as His mother was complete. She must view their relationship in a different way. And He wanted to make sure she had someone to care for her. John 19:25-27 reads:

Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.

Jesus was no longer Mary’s son. He was her savior. She could no longer take care of Him the way a mother does. Mary now needed Jesus to do something for her, namely die as the lamb of God for the forgiveness of her sins. It’s almost breathtaking, isn't it?

Son to Savior. Have you ever thought about it?

Daily Bible Reading Plan

Joshua 20-21; Psalm 79; Mark 3:20-35; I Corinthians 7:1-16

I've enjoyed sharing my thoughts with you. Please feel free to share yours. I'd love to "hear" what's on your mind today.

Have a blessed Good Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting His Daily Mercies. I appreciate your comments.